Advance Base is new music by Casiotone for the Painfully Alone mastermind Owen Ashworth. Under his new moniker, Ashworth conjures dreamy waltzes, heavy-hearted ballads & electropop-styled torch songs from antiquated instruments such as Rhodes electric pianos, Omnichords, Wurlitzer rhythm boxes, & samplers. Advance Base songs deal with deceased racehorses, estranged siblings, hard feelings, & all things long lost. A Shut-In's Prayer, the debut album from Advance Base, was number 19 on MOJO Magazine's Best Albums of 2012 list.
The World Is In A Bad Fix Everywhere, an EP of early 20th century gospel music composed by Washington Phillips, was released June 25, 2013. The Chicago Reader included The World Is In A Bad Fix Everywhere on its Best of Chicago 2013 list. An EP of Magnetic Fields covers called Tomorrow's Homes Today was released later that year as a limited edition cassette, & went out of print almost immediately.
Advance Base released a digital mixtape of compilation tracks & rarities called Plastic Owen Band on November 3, 2014. Nephew in the Wild, a new album of original material, was released August 21, 2015 by Orindal (US/AQ) & Tomlab (EU/UK). PopMatters named Nephew in the Wild the #1 Indie Pop album of 2015.
Products (View All)
- Official website
- Daytrotter session 1
- Daytrotter session 2
- Jessica Hopper interviews Owen Ashworth for the Chicago Tribune
- Library Journal Interview
- AV Club interview
- Ghettoblaster Interview
- AV Club Interview (2)
- Impose Magazine review of "Pamela"
- Leor Galil Interviews Owen Ashworth for the Chicago Reader
- Spin review of Nephew in the Wild
- Rick Moody interviews Owen Ashworth for The Rumpus
- PopMatters names Nephew in the Wild their #1 Indie Pop album of 2015
- Portland Mercury Feature
- Advance Base performs "Same Dream" for LIVE In The Great Northwesty