"When she sings, you believe every word."
- Sam Sodomsky, Pitchfork
Claire Cronin is an interdisciplinary artist and scholar who writes poetry and non-fiction, but her first and deepest identity is as a singer-songwriter. Big Dread Moon showcases Cronin's distinct dark folk songwriting style, honed through years of self-released recordings and Cronin's literary work. The title of the album comes from a poetry manuscript that Cronin abandoned and which seems to haunt the record in its images and mood. Cronin plays with abstraction and symbolic narrative here, using language that is self-consciously gothic and religious but also grounded in the ordinary world. These songs are personal and emotional but not confessional. They are interested in psychic states.
Big Dread Moon follows Came Down a Storm, a 2016 collaboration between Cronin and Deerhoof guitarist John Dieterich. In contrast to the experimentation and tonal shifts of that recording, Big Dread Moon is more delicate and self-contained. These are lyrically-driven songs based around Cronin's voice and electric guitar and her partner Ezra Buchla's viola, approximating the live sound of the duo. Big Dread Moon both marks a return to an earlier mode of writing for Cronin and also a coming into her own as an artist.
Big Dread Moon was recorded and mixed at Figure 8 in Brooklyn by Shahzad Ismaily and mastered with additional mixing by Matt Mehlan.
Big Dread Moon was released on vinyl & digital formats on June 14, 2019.
CLAIRE CRONIN LIVE DATES
February 27 Oakland, CA @ Pro Arts Gallery & Commons
February 29 San Francisco @ Honey Hive Gallery
March 06 Spokane, WA @ Berserk Bar (w/ Advance Base)
March 07 Anacortes, WA @ The Depot (w/ Advance Base & Ruth Garbus)
March 08 Seattle, WA @ The Vera Project (w/ Advance Base, Ruth Garbus & Nicholas Krgovich)
March 10 Seaview, WA @ Sou'wester Lodge (w/ Advance Base & Ruth Garbus)
March 11 Portland, OR @ Mississippi Studios (w/ Advance Base & Ruth Garbus)
March 13 San Francisco, CA @ Neck of the Woods (w/ Advance Base & Ruth Garbus)
March 14 Ojai, CA @ Greater Goods (w/ Advance Base & Ruth Garbus)
March 15 Los Angeles, CA @ The Satellite (w/ Advance Base & Ruth Garbus)
March 17 Phoenix, AZ @ Trunk Space (w/ Advance Base)
March 18 Tucson, AZ @ Exo (w/ Advance Base & Karima Walker)
March 19 Albuquerque, NM TBA (w/ Advance Base)
March 20 Colorado Springs, CO @ Lulu's Downstairs (w/ Advance Base)
- Claire Cronin official website
- GoldFlakePaint feature
- Flagpole feature
- Wake the Deaf's Favorite Albums of 2016 list
- The Flagpole's Favorite Albums of 2016 list
- "The Unnatural" music video
- "Saint's Lake" musIc video
- Audiotree session
- Stereogum premieres "Tourniquet" from Big Dread Moon
- Post-Trash premieres "Wolfman"
- The Flagpole previews Big Dread Moon
- Stereogum shares "Wolfman"
- The Fader interviews Claire Cronin & premieres Big Dread Moon
- Claire Cronin "Sound & Vision" feature for Secret Meeting
- Secret Meeting reviews Big Dread Moon
- Various Small Flames reviews Big Dread Moon
- Bandcamp recommends Big Dread Moon
- Pitchfork recommends Big Dread Moon
- The Balloon Machine premieres "Saint's Lake" music video
- Sam Sodomsky reviews Big Dread Moon for Pitchfork
- Sam Woodring reviews Big Dread Moon for Talkhouse
- Variou Small Flames interview
- Seventh Hex interview
- Claire talks to The Balloon Machine about her rescue dogs, Bunny & Mira